Breaking News

Bassogog: We are young, but strong

Cameroon’s Russia 2018 hopes in the balance ahead of a matches against Nigeria. Young in-form forward Christian Bassogog shoulders the goal-scoring tasks.




The 21-year-old was named best player at this year’s CAF Africa Cup of Nations.

Christian Bassogog may not be quite the youngest of the current Cameroon team - the 21-year-old Henan Jianye attacker is a few months older than team-mates Fabrice Ondoa and Andre Onana. He is though, however, arguably the fastest player in the entire Indomitable Lions squad.

The fleet-footed predator scored a memorable goal in this year’s CAF Africa Cup of Nations semi-final against Ghana when he capitalised on his exceptional pace to surge past defenders and clip the ball past the keeper to seal a 2-0 victory. 

It is a feat that has repeatedly been seen this season in the Chinese Super League where Bassogog has racked up seven goals and three assists in his debut campaign.

"I am not sure just how fast I am," the former Wilmington Hammerheads winger told FIFA.com. "I have never tested my speed by running a 100-metre sprint. But I know my pace is my top strength."

Nigeria welcome the reigning African champions to the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo on Friday September 01, before flying to Yaoundé on Monday, September 04.

No comments